Entrepreneurial Activitiesat IIT Bombay:
IIT Bombay has always nurtured talent, intellect and achievement. Alumni and students of IITB have made their mark globally and in India as entrepreneurs, innovators, scientists and leaders. Students of IITB constantly seek constant inspiration from these stalwarts. Over the years, entrepreneurship at IIT Bombay has received support from all the stakeholders, internal as well as external. Thus, the overall ambience is one of synergistic support for all stakeholders.
While entrepreneurship has always been an integral component of IITB’s student activities, the Institute has been making focused efforts on the challenge of creating a thriving entrepreneurial ecosystem on the campus building on several initiatives that have been launched over the last ten years.
In the last one decade, these efforts got an additional impetus with formal organizational support for start-ups and technology ventures. The formation and emergence of formal teams to enhance the ecosystem and the entrepreneurial community:
- Society for Innovation and Entrepreneurship (SINE) - IITB’s Business Incubator- actively supports technology venture creation
- E-Cell– IITB’s vibrant student driven body has taken up various activities to enrich the ecosystem:
- The National Entrepreneurship Challenge where colleges across the country get support for setting up and managing entrepreneurship cells locally
- Events aimed towards entrepreneurship like boot camps, workshops, panel discussions, investor networking programmes, business plan competitions etc.
- E-Summit -Their flagship event draws over 10,000 participants from across the country; the final winners for Eureka (the Business Plan Competition) are decided in the E-Summit.
- Industrial Research & Consultancy Centre (IRCC) - All the research and development activities at the Institute, Technology Transfer, Legal Support
- Project based Centres - Tata Centre, Centre for Research in Nanotechnology & Science (CRNTS), Biomedical Engineering and Technology Incubation Centre (BETiC), National Centre for Aerospace Innovation & Research (NCAIR)
The D S Centre for Entrepreneurship is actively working towards the following objectives:
- To train and develop entrepreneurs to have a positive impact on society
- Establish facilities, provide educational programs and offer micro-grants to nurture new ideas in advanced technologies
- Create, redefine and build cutting-edge products and services
- Provide support [Content, Context and Contacts] to all the students and faculty in their entrepreneurial initiatives
Into its third year since inception, DSCE has taken firm steps towards meeting its objectives and aligning with the vision of the Institute at large.