Assistant Professor : July, 2009 - Nov 2016
Associate Professor : Dec, 2016 to current
Tel: 91 22 25767631
- B.Sc (Physics), Madras University, 1994
- M.Sc (Materials Science), Anna University, Madras, 1996
- M.Sc. (By research), IISC Banglore, 1999
- Ph.D., Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, 2006
- Modelling of microstructural evolution
- Atomistic (Monte Carlo and Molecular dynamics) and continuum (phase field modelling) models
- Materials mechanics and thermodynamics
- Phase transformations
- Deformation and phase transformation induced microstructural changes
- Twinning and dislocation mediated deformation: multiscale modeling and experimental validation. Funded by Department of Science and Technology, Government of India.
- Stability of microstructure and dislocation formation during the deformation of eutectic microstructures, Funded by Tata Steel.
- Development and implementation of phase field model for dry snow metamorphism. Funded by Snow and Avalanche Study Establishment, Defence Research and Development Organisation, Ministry of Defence, Government of India.
- Phase field modelling of microstructural evolution in magnetic thin films. Funded by Directorate of Extramural Research and Intellectucal Property Rights, Defence Research and Development Organisation, Ministry of Defence, Government of India.
- Development of Life Prediction methodologies for transversely loaded DS Nickel based superalloys for gas-turbine application. Imprint project proposal (at Phase III approval) in collaboration with GE global research JFWTC India Technology Centre, Bengaluru.
- Indigeneous software development for ICME: Focus on the meso-scopic length scale. Imprint project proposal (at Phase III approval) in collaboration with TCS, Pune.
- Investigations into the mechanisms of deformation in medium Mn steel, which will lead to the development of a microstructure informed model for deformation, To be funded by Tata Steel,
Selected Journal Publications
- Elastic stress effects on microstructural instabilities, M P Gururajan and A Lahiri, IISc journal, 93, 3, 199-234.
- Modified Young’s equation for equilibrium dihedral angles of grain boundary grooves in thin films at the nanoscale, Shang-Chun Lin, Ming-Wei Liu, M P Gururajan, and Kuo-An Wu, Acta Materialia, 102, pp. 364-372, 2016.
- Precipitate growth kinetics in systems with interfacial energy and mobility anisotropy: a phase-field study, Arijit Roy and M P Gururajan, Proceedings of international conference on solid-solid phase transformations in inorganic materials 2015, Edited by Matthias Militzer, Gianluigi Botton, Long-Qing Chen, James Howe, Chadwick Sinclair, and Hatem Zurob, pp. 325-332, 2015.
- Construction and working of a hard sphere simulator, Geeta Monpara, Shruti Sharma, A S Panwar, M P Gururajan, Resonance, January, 2015.
- Effect of epitaxial strain on phase separation in thin films, A Lahiri, T A Abinandanan, M P Gururajan, S Bhattacharyya, Philosophical Magazine Letters, Vol. 94, 11, pp. 702-707, 2014.
- On the incorporation of cubic and hexagonal anisotropy in interfacial energy in phase field models using higher order tensor terms, E S Nani and M P Gururajan, Philosophical Magazine, Vol. 94, 29, pp. 3331-3352, 2014.
- Wrinkling of Atomic Planes in Ultrathin Au Nanowires, A Roy, S Kundu, K Mueller, A Rosenauer, S Singh, P Pant, M P Gururajan, P Kumar, J Weissmüller, A Singh, N Ravishankar, ACS Nano Letters, Vol. 14, 8, pp. 4859-4866, 2014.
- Precipitate growth with composition dependent diffusivity -- Comparison with theory and phase field simulations, R Mukherjee, T A Abinandanan and M P Gururajan, Scripta Materialia, Vol. 62, pp. 85-88 (2010).
- Phase field study of precipitate growth: Effect of misfit strain and interface curvature, R Mukherjee, T A Abinandanan, and M P Gururajan, Acta Materialia, Vol. 57, pp. 3947-3954 (2009)
- Phase field modeling of grain growth: effect of boundary thickness, triple junctions, misorientation, and anisotropy, I M McKenna, M P Gururajan, and P W Voorhees, Journal of Materials Science, Vol. 44, pp. 2206-2217 (2009).