Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IIT Bombay) celebrated its 56th Foundation Day on March 10, 2015. The foundation stone for the internationally recognized Institute was laid by Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru, then Prime Minister of India on March 10, 1959. IIT Bombay was the second IIT to be established in the Country and the first one to be established with a foreign aid received from UNESCO. Since then the Institute has grown from strength to strength and is now counted among the best engineering institutions across the globe.
Welcoming everyone to the Foundation Day function, Prof. Devang Khakhar, Director, IIT Bombay remarked, “Our aim is to see IIT Bombay among the top rank of technical universities in the world, which is known for its outstanding undergraduate and postgraduate programmes and for its contribution to research. We want to participate in providing solutions to the problems faced by the nation and the world through innovation.”
Foundation Day is not only the time to rejoice the success of the Institute but celebrate the achievements of its alumni and faculty as well. With this thought in mind, Chief Guest Prof. S.P. Sukhatme, Former Director, IIT Bombay and Former Chairman, Atomic Energy Research Board handed over the Distinguished Alumnus Awards and Young Alumni Achievers Awards to some of the alumni of the Institute besides Prof. S.C. Bhattacharya Award for Excellence in Pure Sciences and Prof. H.H. Mathur Award for Excellence in Applied Sciences to select faculty members for excellence in research work.
Speaking on ‘IIT Bombay and its tryst with excellence’, Prof. Sukhatme said, “Online learning and Massive Online Open Courses (MOOCS) are said to be the next big thing. However, there is a strong need to blend online learning with classical classroom learning. This will lead to increase in the amount and quality of faculty-to-student and student-to-student interactions, which is vital for an holistic educational experience.”
The recipients of this year's awards are as following:
Distinguished Alumnus Awards
- Prof. Srinivasan Raghunathan (M.Tech., 1966 and Ph.D., 1970, Mechanical Engineering) - Emeritus Professor of Aeronautical Engineering, Mechanical Aerospace Engineering, Queens University of Belfast, UK.
- Prof. Ajit Rangnekar (B.Tech., 1968, Chemical Engineering) – Dean, Indian School of Business (ISB), Hyderabad.
- Prof. Ramakrishna Vijayacharya Hosur (M.Sc., 1973, Chemistry) - Senior Professor, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Mumbai
- Dr. Vijaya Korwar Gallagher (B.Tech., 1976, Electrical Engineering) - Technical Director, Advanced Systems at Space Systems Loral, LLC in Palo Alto, California, United States.
- Prof. Gautam Barua (B.Tech., 1976, and M.Tech., 1978, Electrical Engineering)- Professor and former Director of Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
- Prof. George Varghese (B.Tech., 1981, Electrical Engineering) – Principal Engineer and Partner, Microsoft Research
- Prof. Ketan Mulmuley (B.Tech., 1981, Electrical Engineering) – Professor, Computer Science Department, University of Chicago.
- Prof. S. Ramakrishnan (M.Sc., 1982, Chemistry) – Chairman, Division of Chemical Sciences and Professor, Department of Inorganic and Physical Chemistry, Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore
- Mr Harish Badami (B.Tech., 1985, Chemical Engineering) - CEO and MD, ACC Limited
- Prof. Srikant Sastry (M.Sc., 1986, Physics) - Professor, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), Bengaluru.
- Lt. Gen. Dr. R.S Panwar (M.Tech.,1988, and Ph.D.,1992 Computer Science & Engineering) - Commandant, Military College of Telecommunication Engineering, Mhow and Colonel Commandant of the Corps of Signals
- Dr. Dharmendra Modha (B.Tech., 1990, Computer Science & Engineering) - IBM Fellow and Chief Scientist, Brain-inspired Computing, IBM
- Prof. Subhash Khot (B.Tech., 1999, Computer Science and Engineering) - faculty member, Computer Science Department, Courtesan Institute for Mathematical Science, New York University
Young Alumni Achievers Awards 2015
- Mr. Gagan Bhalla (B.Tech., 1996, Civil Engineering) - Chief Executive Officer, Apollo Sugar
- Mr. Ursheet Parikh (B.Tech., 1998, Computer Science & Engineering) - Partner in Mayfield Fund
- Prof. Devavrat Shah (B.Tech., 1999, Computer Science & Engineering) - Jamieson Associate Professor, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Mr. Vishal Gupta (B.Tech., 2000, Electrical Engineering) - Founder and CEO, Seclore
- Prof. Sachin Katti (B.Tech., 2003, Electrical Engineering) - Assistant Professor, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Stanford University
- Mr. Zishaan Hayath (B.Tech + M.Tech 2005, Civil Engineering) – Founder, Toppr.com
Prof. S.C. Bhattacharya Award for Excellence in Pure Sciences
- Prof. M. S. Balakrishna, Department of Chemistry, IIT Bombay
Prof. H.H. Mathur Award for Excellence in Applied Sciences
- Prof. S. Sudarshan, Department Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Bombay
- Prof. Vivek Agarwal, Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Bombay
Thanking the Institute for bestowing the honour, Prof. Raghunathan, one of the award recipient said, “ The training and environment that I got at IIT Bombay had a great impact on my life and has made me the person I am. It is a great honour to receive this award and I will cherish this throughout my life ”
Apart from the students and faculty members of the Institute, the Foundation Day function was attended in large numbers by the alumni of the Institute settled in India and abroad.