The Women's Cell of IIT Bombay was established in 2002, in accordance with the Supreme Court ruling of 1997, on the issue of sexual harassment in the workplace. Only complaints against sexual harassment come under Women's cell.
The Women's Cell is committed to
- Observing the law on Sexual Harassment
- Sensitising the community on gender issues
- Addressing complaints from victims
The law on sexual harrassment
- The Supreme Court, which regards sexual harassment as a violation of human rights and as a form of systematic discrimination against women, has issued guidelines to prevent, as well as punish, perpetrators of sexual harassment.
- It is legally mandatory for employers and administrators to deploy measures for combating and redressing incidents of sexual harassment in their organizations.
Definition of sexual harassment
- Physical contact, gestures, or stalking
- A demand or request for sexual favors
- Sexually oriented remarks
- Showing pornography
- Use of electronic media (phone, internet, intranet) for perpetrating any of the above
- Any other unwelcome physical, verbal, or non-verbal conduct of a sexual nature