|Brg. Sisir Kumar Bose||19 January 1959 to 9 June 1969||
Prof. Bose joined the Institute in 1959 as the first Director of IIT Bombay. He was actively involved in the construction of the buildings and labs at IIT. He served as Director for ten years after which he was appointed as Director IIT Kharagpur in 1969. While at IIT Bombay he published a book "The Early Years at IIT Bombay".
|Prof. R. P. Mhatre||10 June 1969 to 14 April 1970|
|Dr. P. K. Kelkar||14 April 1970 to 1 July 1974||
Dr. Purushottam Kashinath Kelkar, known to many in India and abroad as the first founder director and architect of the highly regarded Indian Institute of Technology in Kanpur, India. His success as the director of not just IIT Kanpur, but also IIT Bombay (of which he had previously been the planning officer and deputy director), made him a legend in his time in the field of technical education in India.
|Prof. A. K. De||1 July 1974 to 31 July 1980|
|Prof. R. E. Bedford||31 July 1980 to 8 December 1981|
|Prof. A. K. De||9 December 1981 to 31 August 1984|
|Prof. B. Nag||1 September 1984 to 31 August 1994||Prof. Biswajit Nag was the Director of Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay from September 1984 for ten years. During his tenure as Director, Prof. Nag played a major role in restructuring of academic programmes, modernization and obtaining substantial Government and Industry support for the institute.|
|Prof. S. C. Sahasrabudhe||1 September 1994 to 1 January 1995|
|Prof. S. P. Sukhatme||2 January 1995 to 31 December 1999||
Born on November 5, 1938, Professor Sukhatme received his schooling in St.Columba' s High School, New Delhi and obtained his Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering from Banaras Hindu University in 1958. Subsequently he obtained the degrees of Master of Science, Mechanical Engineer and Doctor of Science from M.LT. in U.S.A.. He joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay in 1965 as an Assistant Professor. He was promoted to the post of Professor in 1970 and served as the Head of the Department from 1973 to 1975.
|Prof. S. C. Sahasrabudhe||1 January 2000 to 8 May 2000|