The 64th Teachers’ Day of IIT Bombay was celebrated on September 5, 2022 at the Institute campus. Prof Gagandeep Kang, FRS, Professor of Microbiology and Laboratory Director, Division of Gastrointestinal Sciences, Christian Medical College, Vellore, was the Chief Guest on the occasion.
The function began with a welcome address by the Institute's Director Prof. Subhasis Chaudhuri followed by inauguration of the Gender Sensitization Programme – an online training programme for faculty and staff of the Institute.
The first-ever IIT Bombay International Award for Excellence in Research in Engineering and Technology (instituted by Mr. Sandeep Naik and Mr. Shantanu Rastogi) was conferred on Dr. Santosh Ansumali, Professor, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, in commendation of his outstanding contributions to Research in Engineering and Technology.
Professor S.C. Sahasrabudhe Life Time Achievement Award of IIT Bombay was bestowed on Prof. A.K. Suresh from the Department of Chemical Engineering, in recognition of his contributions to the Institute.
The recipients of the Prof. S.P. Sukhatme Excellence in Teaching Award 2022 were:
- Prof. Sandesh Ramu, IDC School of Design
- Prof. Surya Durbha, Centre for Studies in Resources Engineering
- Prof. Rangan Banerjee, Department of Energy Science and Engineering
- Prof. Sumant Rao, IDC School of Design
- Prof. U. Anandavardhanan, Department of Mathematics
- Prof. Abhiram Ranade, Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Prof. Sreedhara Sheshadri, Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Prof. Parag Kumar Chaudhuri, Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Prof. Parag Bhargava, Department of Metallurgical Engineering and Materials Science
- Prof. Ravi Sinha, Department of Civil Engineering
- Prof. Usha Ananthakumar, Shailesh J. Mehta School of Management
- Prof. Varadraj Bapat, Shailesh J. Mehta School of Management
- Prof. Bernard Menezes, Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Prof. Kishore Chatterjee, Department of Electrical Engineering
- Prof. Krishnaiyengar Narasimhan, Department of Metallurgical Engineering and Materials Science
The Dr. P. K. Patwardhan Technology Development Award (2021) was awarded to Prof. Debjani Paul and her team, Department of Biosciences and Bioengineering, in recognition of their innovative R & D work on "ShapeDx: A high-accuracy, point-of-care sickle cell test". About 60 students were also felicitated by the Institute Director Prof. Subhasis Chaudhuri for their superlative academic performance.