About Institute of Eminence Scheme
Institutions of Eminence scheme has been launched in order to implement the commitment of the Government to empower the Higher Educational Institutions and to help them become world class teaching and research institutions, as announced by the Hon’ble Finance Minister in his budget speech of 2016. Ten public and ten private institutions are to be identified to emerge as world-class Teaching and Research Institutions. This will enhance affordable access to high quality education for ordinary Indians. Accordingly, UGC notified ‘UGC (Institutions of Eminence Deemed to be Universities) Regulations, 2017’ for private institutions and guidelines ‘UGC (Declaration of Government Educational Institutions as Institutions of Eminence) Guidelines, 2017’ for public institutions on 07.09.2017 to provide regulatory structure for enabling Higher Educational Institutions to become world-class teaching and research institutions.
IIT Bombay is declared as Institute of Eminence on 09/07/2018 by Ministry of Education
Objectives of Institutions of Eminence
- Provide for higher education leading to excellence and innovations in such branches of knowledge as may be deemed fit at academic distinctions.
- Engage in areas of specialization to make distinctive contributions to the objectives of the university education system.
- Provide for high quality teaching and research and for the advancement of knowledge and its dissemination through various research programmes.
- Pay special attention to teaching and research in unique and emerging areas of knowledge, including interdisciplinary areas.
- Aim to be rated internationally for its teaching and research as a top hundred Institution in the world over time.
IITB IoE Proposal Document
What IIT Bombay aim to achieve under IoE
IIT Bombay is working towards achieving further excellence in the following areas
- Offering various interdisciplinary courses
- Good proportion of foreign or foreign-qualified faculties
- Good mix of domestic and foreign students
- Faculty to student ratio to be greater or equal to 1:10
- Laboratory facilities for cutting-edge scientific research
- World-class library with subscriptions to reputed journals
- Student amenities comparable with that of globally reputed institutions
- Strive to achieve social impact by engaging in applied research & innovation
- Teaching and research collaborations with top-ranked global universities
- Record of research publications at the mean rate of at least one per faculty member each year
- A multi-disciplinary institution
- Scholarships and financial support for studensts and faculties