Professor: May 2021- Present
Associate Professor : Dec 2016 - May 2021
Assistant Professor: Jan 2012 - Dec 2016
Dr. Sumit Saxena is a Professor in the Department of Metallurgical Engineering and Materials Science at the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, India. He obtained his doctoral degree at the New Jersey Institute of Technology, New York, USA. Subsequently he worked as a postdoctoral research associate at the Department of Materials Science, University of Illinois – Urbana Champaign, Illinois, USA and at the Department of Physics Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.
- First principles calculations of electronic structure and transport of materials
- Graphene and other 2D materials
- Metamaterial design and fabrication
- Novel materials for Energy storage
- Synthesis, electronic structure and transport studies of 2D materials
- Design and Fabrication of novel metamaterial structures
- Synthesis of novel materials for energy storage
- Achromatic metallic microlens (docket no. 7846)
- Carbon based membrane used for desalination in water, dye degradation and solar concentrator (docket no. 7197)
- Method and system of synthesizing a layered planar material of using an ultra fast laser ablation technique (docket no. 18332)
- *“Insights on the atomic and electronic structure of boron nanoribbons”. Sumit Saxenaand Trevor A. Tyson, Phys. Rev. Lett., 104, 245502 (2010) (Also published in Virtual journal of Nanoscience and Technology 21 (26) under section “Structural Properties”, 2010)
- “Spectroscopic investigation of confinement effects on optical properties of graphene oxide” Shobha Shukla and Sumit Saxena Appl. Phys. Lett., 98, 073104 (2011).
- “Interacting quasi-two dimensional sheets of interlinked carbon nanotubes: A high pressure phase of carbon.” Sumit Saxena and Trevor A. Tyson, ACS Nano, 4(6), 3515 (2010).
- * “Ab-inito density functional studies of the restructuring of graphene nanoribbons to form tailored single walled carbon nanotube.” Sumit Saxena and Trevor A. Tyson,CARBON, 48(4), 1153 (2010). (Article published in Graphene times)
- “Local electronic structure of graphene oxide” Sumit Saxena, Trevor A. Tyson and Ezana Negusse, J. Phys. Chem. Lett., 1, 3433 (2010). (Also published in virtual special issue published by The Journal of Physical Chemistry C, Physical Chemistry of Graphene and Functionalized Graphene, volume(1), issue(1))
- “Investigation of structural and electronic properties of graphene oxide” Sumit Saxena,Trevor A. Tyson, Shobha Shukla, Ezana Negusse, Haiyan Chen and Jaimin Bai, Appl. Phys. Lett. (accepted 2011).
- “Citrate - nitrate route for the synthesis and characterization of TAG using sol-gel techniques”, Sumit Saxena, Archana Asokkumar K. and Bansi Lal, J. Sol-Gel Sci. Techn., 41(3), 245 (2006).
- “Sol-gel preparation and optical characterization of TbxY3-xAl5O12”, Sumit Saxena,Mater. Lett., 60(11) 1315 (2006).
- “Masses along the rp-process path and large scale surveys on Cu, Ni and Ga with ISOLTRAP”, F. Herfurth; G. Audi; D. Beck; K. Blaum; G. Bollen; P. Delahaye; C. Guénaut; A. Kellerbauer; H.-J. Kluge; D. Lunney; D. Rodriguez; S. Saxena; S. Schwarz; L. Schweikhard; G. Sikler,C. Yazidjian; Nucl. Phys. A 746, 487 (2004).